Time in Tibet:

Friday, July 24, 2009

It’s a BMW.

Ewan rode one. Charley rode one. Even Claudio rode one. For me it was an easy choice. I wanted something big a powerful, something I didn’t have to push too hard to make it climb the hills and round the corners. Something big enough to carry gear but powerful enough that it didn’t know it was carrying gear. The BMW R1200 GS/A fit the bill. Started looking on advrider.com for a lightly used “previously owned” R1200, but it had to be a GS/A. I saw several that had been outfitted with the full adventure touring gear but they wanted a great deal of cash to make it happen. Or they were located in Florida, or Washington. So patience was the order of the day and without much delay one showed up in Tustin. Right around the corner. Richard was the owner, actually second owner, and the bike only had about 2000 miles on her. Talk about lightly used! She looked brand new, like she had just come off the line. Beautiful . Richard was a reasonable guy and knew that all the add-ons weren’t going to hold there value so he was looking for a very reasonable price. I agreed and we had a deal. Rode it around the block once, don’t know why, just thought I should. I wasn’t disappointed. Now to start the kitting out process.