Time in Tibet:

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Yaks and BMWs

This is going to take some work.

In order to manage the 7-9 hours a day on the bike I'm going to need some seat time.
Endurance hasn't always been my thing, but it clearly has a level of appeal that motivates me to get going. I'm looking forward to the "Dual Sport" nature of this trip, 2000km, on and offroad, altitude, weather and, most certainly, yaks. Think about it - two tons of yak in the cross hairs is enough to make you think twice.

The bike of choice is the BMW R1200 GS/A - the emphasis on the "A" part. I like the idea of a bike that goes everywhere and anywhere, with plenty of ground clearance and, best of all, an eight gallon gas tank!

I need to start looking for a lightly used late model R1200 with a setup good for endurance riding. I'm sure there are plenty out there with the economy doing it's thing, but I need to find the "right" one.